Saturday, July 28, 2007

Altitude Matters!


I just returned from Utah, where I ran the Wasatch Speedgoat 50K that ran around the mountains in Snowbird up to 11,000 feet. Having done most of my training at close to sea level, I knew the altitude could be difficult, if not stop me from finishing.

The race started at around 8,000 ft, so I felt the effects immediately and more and more as the elevation increased. Near the top of the first climb, my head was pounding, as was my heart. I felt as if someone was pulling me backwards with a rope. It was all I could do to keep taking steps forward. I was stumbling around at the top and felt very light-headed and woozy. As I began the descent, I noticed I felt better and better and could run again. I just repeated this pattern throughout the 5 climbs of the race.

It was so beautiful and the support was really great. I knew I would finish before the 13 hour cutoff, so I just plodded along and sometimes really ran, until I finished in 8 1/2 hours.

My boyfriend ran this as his first ultra and finished 1st in his age group. Good thing I'm not competitive or I'd be pissed. He also finished 14th place overall. He did awesome.

No comments: