Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Now What?

People keep asking me 'what's next?'. I am asking myself the same question. There are still so many challenging events out there that I haven't tried. For now, I hope to get back to some serious trail running. I have missed it so much and need to get out there and explore again.

My recovery has been surprisingly easy, physically, but emotionally, I have been a train wreck. I think I put off dealing with some necessary life stuff to get ready for Ironman. Now I have to take care of so many things and spend more time on my business. Coming 'down' from such a big event is hell. Will I do another Ironman? Probably, yes. Mainly because I want to shave a couple of hours off of my time, now that I have the experience. I think I will wait a year or two, though.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

This reminds me a little of John Krakauer, from Into This Air fame (about the tradgedy on Everest in 96). When he was young, he set off on a quest to solo the Devil's Thumb in Alaska. Insanely hard and death defying. And it was amazing and death defying and he found himself in a bar afterwards thinking "so what?" Not "so what" like it was worthless but "so what" because nothing had changed. He was still John, still broke, and still unsure of where he was going. And his greatest frustration was that somewhere, unexpressed in the back of his mind, he expected that his courageous, audacious, heroic feat would elevate him. Except for some incredulous stares, a round of drinks, and a few thumbs up, he still ended up having to go back home.

So you have to know that brave, audacious, and committed people like yourself have gone through the same sort of deflation.

So maybe your accomplishment doesn't sprinkle your everyday life in fairy dust. And dealing with the mundane just becomes more mundaner. (I made up that word, yo!)

But here's where it matters. To anyone that ever just tried to reach beyond themselves, you are an example. And every once in awhile, you'll get a small sweet smile in your heart and hear the words "I did it".