Monday, September 10, 2007

Okay, Tapering Sucks

Yeah, yeah, I know I'll feel better on the run, I will get plenty of exercies this weekend, I should enjoy not having to run so much, blah blah blah...

I woke up early, took the kids to school, then went back to my office and wow! is it clean. I spent a full hour with the vaccuum alone, getting in every corner, sucking all the dust from the blinds, moving every piece of furniture and making sure all the rugs were shook out. The only icky thing was a potato bug lurking under the reception area rug. I could have handled a tarantula, but potato bugs are wrong. yuck.

Did I mention I have poison oak from the helicopter run? Yeah, everyday it gets worse. I'm sure it will be gone by Saturday. I have every confidence it is disappearing as I write this.

2 comments:

Steve Edwards said...

Here is some tapering inspiration for you, from Wayne:

35 hours of FUN!

I DID IT!! 100 miles and 26,882 elevation gain in just over 35 hours! As I had guessed but never previously experienced, it was very hard. It wouldn't have been as much fun if it was easy, would it?

I had one medium bonk that took about 1 hour to recover my energy and nutrition. I lost a lot of time and miles during that hour. The last 22 were very hard and my legs were so tired and sore that I walked the vast majority of those last miles.
I decided that I didn't want to punish myself too seriously just to get a "faster" time. So as long as I wouldn't miss the time cut-off I slowed down and just moved as fast as I could without putting myself into excessive pain.

It was a great experience and my short term memory for pain and punishment must be really bad. I'm already thinking about next year! (during the last 18 miles I kept telling myself that I would never do another hundred again!)

Hope you're well and continue to play hard
~ Wayne

sandee said...

Thanks. At least he finished, I guess that should give me some inspiration.

Congrats to Wayne on finishing his first 100!