Friday, September 7, 2007

Once a Runner, always a Runner


JLu (Justin) and Jerry J at Javelina Jundred

The past two days I have been running with my new running buddy, Guillermo. I have been taking him to the mountains and introducing him to the trails I love. I can't believe how fortunate I am to finally have someone in my area who loves to run long and trail and is as passionate about it all as me. He totally gets it. He says he can't believe I have been running out here alone all this time. I know! I must admit, I am a little sore from running with him. I can see how having someone better to push you could really make a difference. This is truly a gift.



On a different note altogether, I just received an email from the most amazing runner and best guy friend I have. He is facing the possibility of never running again, due to some spinal problems. I have to believe there is something that can help him. People tell me that eventually every runner has to stop running at some point. I think those people are wrong, and I hope they are wrong in Justin's case, too. Look how happy he is after running his first 100 mile race and placing 3rd overall. That's amazing.

He inspired me to try ultrarunning and has always been my biggest fan. I'm not the only one he has inspired and supported along the way. I think a group of us look to him for guidance and motivation because he has such a great attitude and energy about running and triathlon. He is always there with tips and great advice on finishing a race. He makes you feel as if you are part of this very special family and there is no way you are alone out there training or racing. I will just have to run enough for both of us until he can get out there again.

In the meantime, Justin, do what you do best, support and inspire! We need you. You will always be a runner at heart.

No comments: