Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Go Fiona!

Fiona is doing her first marathon!!!!!
Calvin is off to Catalina Island tomorrow at 5am for 5th grade science camp. It's very exciting for him. I have been labeling everything with my trusty sharpie because Calvin is not known for keeping track of his things. The weather is supposed to be great. I'm so glad my good friend Cindy is going, just in case he needs anything.


Things are pretty exciting around here. We have another mountain lion roaming our neighborhood, due to being displaced by the fire. Also, Sunday I went for a run up on Figueroa Mountain and the ranger stoppped me from heading out on Catway. The gate was closed and I figured it was due to the fire. I intended to just proceed on foot. He said a woman walking her weiner dog (need I say more?) was tree'd (sp?) by a bear Saturday and they had to rescue her. I asked him to describe the bear and realized that was my bear. Well, I've seen him a few times now and I feel like we have an understanding out there. He said the bear, I call him Big Jim, even chased him. I didn't go out there initially and ran a few hours on another trail ( a new trail I'm very excited about, by the way) but when I got back to the car, I couldn't resist going out on Catway to see if I could find Big Jim. The ranger told me that if I got in trouble out there, they wouldn't come after me.


Today I made it to Master's Swim again and even got bumped up a lane already. Yeah. I had a two and half hour break today and ran for 2 hours of it. I did a little speed work. I felt pretty good, despite the swimming. Last week, I was really struggling with the running. I think adding weights and swimming tired me out. This is awful, but I have not got any significant biking in yet. I really need to start.


My friend, Fiona, is doing the Long Beach Marathon this weekend. It is her first marathon. Please send her lots of positive energy, not that she needs it, she's going to do great. Go Fiona!!! She'll be the one in all pink.


4 comments:

Debbie said...

Oh. My. God. Is today's dispatch totally made for me or what?!? Dachounds... check! Big Jim... check! Thank you from the depth of my soul.

Debbie said...

Ughhhh... sometimes I just sorta hate Dutch people. I don't know how much I've told you, but there's a really sweet girl here who's becoing a trainer and asked me if I could be her project for getting her diploma. I hesitatted, cuz I've got my own thing going, but said yes to be cool. And I like her. Since she's my ahem "trainer" I asked her to do some stuff in preparation for my challenge. And She was totally like "you're gonna hurt yourself" and "why do you want to do this" - totally not getting the zen of it or the concept of "challenge". Um dude, it's supposed to be a stretch, ok? Anyway, it just got to the point where I had to break off the whole training relationship. I really don't be needing people telling me what I can't do, you know. Anyway, now I have to go talk to the gym people. It's small gym and I don't know how she spoke to them, but apparently they are not into my challenge either. I'll do it anyway, but I'd rather do it out in the open than on the ole down low. But then again, it might be also totally fun to do like a stealth ninja challenge, too. love Deb

sandee said...

Shit...do I have to come to Holland in January? It sounds like you need some challenge support. It's not entirely impossible, ya know.

Debbie said...

Oh my god, I'd love that... but the other thing that can be done is that I do whatever challenge i can do here on my actual birhtday... and when I come out in Feb, maybe we can do midway birthday challenge for the both of us. Or something. In Utah or Buellton. And then I'd have a little more training time to kick massive ass. What say you, Florbit?