Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sick and Tired and still Training?

I was sick with a nasty cold this weekend, but still did my training. I know this is not always the best idea, but I had set aside this time, which is precious and hard to find, so I felt that I had to take advantage of it. Saturday, after cycling 3 hours followed by a 40 minute run, I quickly showered and headed over to my new office to spend the remainder of the day and some of the night painting. Sunday was basically the same, a shorter bike (60 minutes) and a 75 minute run. Then, off to paint some more. I stopped at the Bitch House (my favorite coffee shop, but called the Bitch House by a select few, because the girls that work there have a fantastically bitchy attitude). I guess my video shop days make me partial to quirky establishment behaviour. Anyhow, I grabbed a cup of Major Dick and headed over to paint. I was fading at an alarmingly fast rate. I had to keep taking lie down breaks. Me, the queen of GO, had to lie down frequently. Man, was I sick. And tired. Of being sick.

So, Monday, basically could hardly get out of bed to make coffee. I developed a hacking cough and lots of snot. Super fun way to spend my 'rest' day. I literally only left the house to buy toilet paper, since I used it all to catch the snot flow. My voice is still barely audible and I still sound like an old lady. My own father thought he had the wrong number last night when he called. I had to rally and get my kids off to school this morning and figured I might as well go to work, since I was up. Ugh. I even flopped around in the pool for a bit, to pretend I was still doing my training.

So, I know what you are thinking if you are reading this :This girl has a problem, any rational person would rest until they were well enough to train again or it's only going to get worse. And I know this and agree. I would give this advice to anyone I know. I would say things like, You will not lose your fitness in 2 days and You are better off getting well and training harder, etc. I KNOW, but I can't follow any of that advice. I am obviously not sick enough yet. I think I'm afraid of ironman. So many sports, so little time...

No comments: